NZOGBU NZOGBU.......ENYIMBA ENYI



















I’m a Chelsea fan!

I have Chelsea home and away jerseys.

My car’s seat covers are Chelsea branded. So is the steering wheel.

I also have a Chelsea sticker just below my car’s rear plate number.

Did I also mention that I have a Chelsea crest hanging on my rear view mirror.

I go to great pains to ensure my branded jerseys are original and come straight from Stamford bridge, well before the commencement of every season.

I’m also an Enyimba fan.

I would love to wear an Enyimba jersey to the office on a Friday….as well as to a viewing centre (when I don’t feel like watching the match alone in the comfort of my house) on a Saturday…..as well as to the cinema on a Sunday.

But except seeing it on screen during their matches which I chance upon once in a while, I have never touched an Enyimba jersey before.

While “Up Blues” from fellow Chelsea fans sounds great……whether we are 11th on the EPL table or not, it would sure feel awesome to run into a fellow branded or not-branded Enyimba fan at the mall, and hear him salute “Nzogbu Nzogbu”, and I respond “Enyimba Enyi”

There is surely something more personal, more resonating, more emotional, more national, more Nigerian, more African, more black, more me about chanting “Nzogbu Nzogbu”, than “Up Blues” and then respond “Blues for life”.

It actually is more honest. I would be a Nigerian for life, but a Chelsea fan? Ermmm….it depends.

Let’s face it, If God forbid, Mr. Abrahamovich had a brain wave and employed Arsene Wenger as the coach of Chelsea, Chelsea would be getting divorce papers from me, at least until Monsieur Wenger leaves Stamford bridge.

But I definitely would not react the same way if the management of Enyimba FC of Aba employed a coach I have no faith in to run my Enyimba club.

I will therefore rather be an Enyimba fan than be a Chelsea Fan.

Why? Simple. Every time I buy their original jersey, I add to Enyimba’s income. Every time I buy their branded stuff and other memorabilia, I am enriching the coffers of a Nigerian owned business, domiciled in Aba. I am also helping pay the wages of a Nigerian footballer playing in Nigeria. I am also ensuring that a Nigerian family is able to pay bills. I am growing the Nigerian football league. I am keeping Nigerian money in Nigerian hands and in Nigeria.

As an Enyimba fan, I would be able to easily fly down to Aba from Lagos to watch live, important home games and derbies….or drive down with my friends and cousins to watch the people’s elephants (as they are fondly addressed) play.

Arguments over title chase would be worth it as I can truly say that, beyond emotional investment, I have a rational reason to do the mathematics of team form, player statistics, and every other wahala I go through in the name of team support.

But alas, all these Enyimba nonsense simply amounts to mental masturbation for me, because their jerseys are not easily available, I have not seen any of their merchandising materials anywhere, neither have I ever wandered into a viewing centre to find any group of fans arguing over whether Enyimba is a better club than Kano Pillars or Sharks FC.

Perhaps I should take consolation in the fact that Enyimba FC and Chelsea FC have something in common, the blue jersey.


So next time someone sees me and hail “Up blues” and I respond “blues for life”……I might just be echoing my allegiance to both clubs!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No. 28: Worrying so much about what others think

No. 29: Treating people badly